History Tiel plant
The company was founded by Mr. J.E. de Boer in 1842 as a trading company, based in The Hague (Netherlands).
In 1926 Mr. W.J. Verdugt took over and changed the company name to Verdugt B.V. The company started to manufacture glass and agrochemicals in Tiel. The Tiel site was chosen because of the location next to the railway, which was used for the transport. Huge glass bottles were manufactured in a glass factory on site to pack the chemicals. The baskets that were used to protect these glass bottles during transport were also manufactured on site. When production in Tiel started in 1926, the location was still far away from Tiel urbanization. However, over the years the city of Tiel has grown more and more, and right now the location is quite unusual for a chemical plant, in the middle of the city.
1950: Crystallization department was built to produce acetates.
1958: First drum dryers were installed to produce powders.
1959: The offices of the company were moved to the location of the plant in Tiel.
In 1962 Verdugt was acquired by Internatio Müller. Production of organic salts, such as propionates and acetates, started.
In 1969 the Crystallization department moved to current location, with production of 4 products on 4 lines: ammonium, manganese, zinc and sodium acetate.
In 1973 the first spray drier was built (only powder production).
In 1975 the Fine Chemical Unit (FCU) started as test facility. Later the FCU is also used for production of acid mixtures, ammoniated acids and special crystals.
In 1981 the company stops production of agrochemicals. Verdugt was acquired by BP Amoco, as forward integration of organic acids (acetic, propionic and formic acid). Under the ownership of BP a lot was invested in environmental measurements and new production methods were developed and new equipment installed. Second spray drier and first part of reaction department were built: production of powders and agglomerates. Production on spray drier 1 was stopped. Drum drying activities were stopped.
In 1986 the Mixing and grinding department started on location of drum dryers. Drais mixer was installed to mix solids (mainly own products). Products are mainly sold to the Feed market. Started production of Sodium Diacetate on Crystal line 3.
In 1989 Spray drier 1 is brought back into production. Crystal line 3 upgraded to improve product quality and increase capacity.
1990: Nauta mixer installed in Mixing department: production of salts via direct mixing technology.
In 1991 the third spray drier was built, as well as second part of reaction department: production of powders and agglomerates (compacted). Activities on spray drier 1 stopped.
In 1999 a new holding company Verdugt Holdings LLC is formed by US Salt Holdings LLC to acquire the organic salts business, Verdugt B.V., from BP Amoco.
In 2000 the largest evaporated salt producer in the UK, British Salt, is acquired by the Verdugt Holdings LLC.
In 2001 the Spanish company Droiban S.A. is acquired by Verdugt B.V. Droiban produces sodium acetate via crystallization. Name of the company is later changed into Verdugt Spain. The Nauta mixer in Mixing department used for mixing of Sodium acetate and Zeolite for the detergents market (washing tablets).
In 2004 CVC Capitals acquired Verdugt B.V. from US Salt Holdings LLC. The Mixing department was upgraded to increase capacity for mixing solids. Crystal line 3 capacity increased.
On April 1st, 2005 Kemira acquired 100% ownership of Verdugt B.V. In December the name of the company was changed to Kemira ChemSolutions B.V. Since 2005 all operations of the company were fully integrated into Kemira’s businesses.
In 2008 the Mixing department was closed because the market for solid mixtures to Feed applications was getting more and more competitive and technology of the Mixing Department was no longer state-of-the art.
In 2009 the refurbishment of DP2 completed.
In March 2010 Crystal line 3 was extended with a mill, to increase capacity and meet new customer requirements. Start of installation and implementation of new packing equipment, palletizers and label equipment in the three bigger production departments.
On March 1, 2013 Niacet Corporation acquired Kemira ChemSolutions B.V. , including the Tiel site. The name of the company is changed to Niacet b.v.