ABOUT US

World-class Quality

Welcome to Niacet, a leading global producer of propionates and acetates, focusing on the Pharmaceutical, Food and Feed industries.

Our products fill vital needs in a broad range of
applications that are essential to everyday life including pathogen inhibition, antibiotic formulation, dialysis treatment, energy production, and more. We strive to be your supplier of choice for these products and take pride in offering simply the best in World-Class Quality. At Niacet, we seek to create sustainable growth and value through our commitment to the well-being of our employees, our communities, and the environment.

We are proud to promote our compliance to the highest standards of conduct in our industry including the American Chemistry Council’s Code of Responsible Care®.

With over 85 years of chemical manufacturing experience at each of our production facilities, we continue building on the diverse skills and knowledge of our employees to serve our customers. With confidence, you can “Count on Niacet”.

We invite you to explore our website to learn more of our product applications and capabilities.

1924

In 1924, the first semi-commercial chemical plant, based on acetylene, was put into operation in Niagara Falls, NY by Carbide and Carbon Chemicals Company. Within a year, the plant was expanded to full-scale production and Niacet Chemical Corporation was formed under the joint ownership of Carbide and Carbon Chemicals, E.I. Dupont, and Shawinigan Power Company. The company name, Niacet, was derived from Niagara acetylene.

1928

In 1928, Niacet built the first plant to produce synthetic glacial acetic acid by air oxidation of acetaldehyde. Sodium acetate and other derivatives soon followed. Also introduced here in 1937 was one of the earliest productions of vinyl acetate by the treatment of acetic acid with acetylene. During World War II, output of acetylene and its derivatives was greatly increased to meet essential needs.

1946

In 1946, Union Carbide Corporation purchased full ownership of the company from its two partners.  Although the company name changed, the trademark “Niacet”, remained, being regularly applied to acetic acid derivatives produced at the Niagara Falls plant. Over time, however, technology evolved; and the processes used at this facility were no longer competitive. By the late 70’s, the site was reduced to only 2 product lines, Acetate Salts and NIAPROOF Anionic Surfactants. The plant was barely profitable and was about to be shut down.

1978

In 1978, an executive of Union Carbide Corporation, Michael R. Brannen, purchased the plant facilities and all business activity associated with the Niagara Falls site.  The business was re-named Niacet Corporation, becoming a locally owned and operated business with deep roots in industrial manufacturing.

Soon thereafter, the company installed new equipment to produce propionate salts to serve the bakery industry.  Following this investment, and capitalizing on the site’s unique manufacturing capabilities, sodium phenoxy acetate was introduced to serve the pharmaceutical industry. These additions broadened the product portfolio and established a new base for growth.  Niacet boasts the largest capacity in North America for organic acid salts such as Sodium Acetate, Sodium Diacetate, and Calcium Propionate.  These products function as buffering agents, flavoring ingredients, bakery preservatives and much more.  Sodium Phenoxy Acetate (SPA), for which Niacet is the only US producer, is an intermediate used exclusively in the fermentation of penicillin-V.

1989

In 1989, the company commissioned a Monochloroacetic Acid production unit, to meet internal and merchant product demand, along with co-product Hydrochloric Acid supply.  In 1999, Niacet expanded capacity to produce high quality Sodium Acetate Trihydrate, meeting market requirements in the household products sector.  In 2004, a major expansion of the Calcium Propionate process occurred, leading to the introduction of crystalline Calcium Propionate, a first in the marketplace with superior quality characteristics.

2009

In 2009, Niacet completed design and installation of its newest production facilities for Sodium and Calcium Stearoyl Lactylates. These lactylate salts are commonly used in the bakery industry as dough strengtheners and crumb softeners.  They also have wide applications in cosmetics and personal care products.

now

1842

The company was founded by Mr. J.E. de Boer in 1842 as a trading company, based in The Hague (Netherlands).

1926​

In 1926 Mr. W.J. Verdugt took over and changed the company name to Verdugt B.V. The company started to manufacture glass and agrochemicals in Tiel. The Tiel site was chosen because of the location next to the railway, which was used for the transport. Huge glass bottles were manufactured in a glass factory on site to pack the chemicals. The baskets that were used to protect these glass bottles during transport were also manufactured on site. When production in Tiel started in 1926, the location was still far away from Tiel urbanization. However, over the years the city of Tiel has grown more and more, and right now the location is quite unusual for a chemical plant, in the middle of the city.

1950

Crystallization department was built to produce acetates.

1958

First drum dryers were installed to produce powders.

1959

The offices of the company were moved to the location of the plant in Tiel.

1962

In 1962 Verdugt was acquired by Internatio Müller. Production of organic salts, such as propionates and acetates, started.

1969

In 1969 the Crystallization department moved to current location, with production of 4 products on 4 lines: ammonium, manganese, zinc and sodium acetate.

1973​

In 1973 the first spray drier was built (only powder production).

1975

In 1975 the Fine Chemical Unit (FCU) started as test facility. Later the FCU is also used for production of acid mixtures, ammoniated acids and special crystals.

1981

In 1981 the company stops production of agrochemicals. Verdugt was acquired by BP Amoco, as forward integration of organic acids (acetic, propionic and formic acid). Under the ownership of BP a lot was invested in environmental measurements and new production methods were developed and new equipment installed. Second spray drier and first part of reaction department were built: production of powders and agglomerates. Production on spray drier 1 was stopped. Drum drying activities were stopped.

1986

In 1986 the Mixing and grinding department started on location of drum dryers. Drais mixer was installed to mix solids (mainly own products). Products are mainly sold to the Feed market. Started production of Sodium Diacetate on Crystal line 3.

1989

In 1989 Spray drier 1 is brought back into production. Crystal line 3 upgraded to improve product quality and increase capacity.

1990​

Nauta mixer installed in Mixing department: production of salts via direct mixing technology.

1991

In 1991 the third spray drier was built, as well as second part of reaction department: production of powders and agglomerates (compacted). Activities on spray drier 1 stopped.

1999

In 1999 a new holding company Verdugt Holdings LLC is formed by US Salt Holdings LLC to acquire the organic salts business, Verdugt B.V., from BP Amoco.

2000

In 2000 the largest evaporated salt producer in the UK, British Salt, is acquired by the Verdugt Holdings LLC.

2001

In 2001 the Spanish company Droiban S.A. is acquired by Verdugt B.V. Droiban produces sodium acetate via crystallization. Name of the company is later changed into Verdugt Spain. The Nauta mixer in Mixing department used for mixing of Sodium acetate and Zeolite for the detergents market (washing tablets).
2004

In 2004 CVC Capitals acquired Verdugt B.V. from US Salt Holdings LLC. The Mixing department was upgraded to increase capacity for mixing solids. Crystal line 3 capacity increased.

2005

On April 1st, 2005 Kemira acquired 100% ownership of Verdugt B.V. In December the name of the company was changed to Kemira ChemSolutions B.V. Since 2005 all operations of the company were fully integrated into Kemira’s businesses.
2008
In 2008 the Mixing department was closed because the market for solid mixtures to Feed applications was getting more and more competitive and technology of the Mixing Department was no longer state-of-the art.

2009

In 2009 the refurbishment of DP2 completed.
2010
In March 2010 Crystal line 3 was extended with a mill, to increase capacity and meet new customer requirements. Start of installation and implementation of new packing equipment, palletizers and label equipment in the three bigger production departments.

2013

On March 1, 2013 Niacet Corporation acquired Kemira ChemSolutions B.V. , including the Tiel site. The name of the company is changed to Niacet b.v.  

now